Apology to Australia's Indigenous peoples
- Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, MP - Apology to Australia's Indigenous peoples. The speech delivered to Federal Parliament and the Australian Nation on February 13, 2008.
- ANU National Centre for Indigenous Studies
- Tjabal Indigenous Higher Education Centre
- Australian Centre for Indigenous History
- School of General Practice, Rural & Indigenous Health (SGPRIH)
- Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research (CAEPR)
- ANU articles related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- ReconciliACTIONnsw - a network of Indigenous and non-Indigenous young people who have an interest in reconciliation and Indigenous rights issues and those who are active in their communities.
History & Culture
- First Australians - an SBS documentary series that chronicles the birth of contemporary Australia as never told before, from the perspective of its first people.
- Bringing Them Home Oral History Project - a project ran from 1998 to 2002 and served to collect and preserve the stories of Indigenous people and others, such as missionaries, police and administrators involved in or affected by the process of child removals.
- ABC’s Indigenous portal – a site with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander news, radio and television stories as well as information on local heroes, arts and events, health and recipes, and education.
- Torres Strait Regional Authority (TSRA) website - provides information on the history, governance, and economic, social and cultural development of the Torres Strait region.
- Koorie Heritage Trust Inc website - a not-for-profit Aboriginal community organisation that aims to protect, preserve and promote the living culture of Aboriginal people of south-eastern Australia
- Face the facts - a general Q&A section on the Australian Human Rights Commission website about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. The facts contain information about population, disadvantage, representative bodies and much more.
- Share Our Pride - an introduction to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and their culture and to building respectful relationships.
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS) - the website of the world’s premier institution for information and research about the cultures and lifestyles of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Close The Gap - a campaign calling on federal, state and territory governments to commit to closing the life expectancy gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians within a generation.
- The Lowitja Institute - a collaborative research organisation that brings together Aboriginal organisations, research institutions and government agencies to facilitate evidence-based research into Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health.
- Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet - an innovative web resource that makes knowledge and information on Indigenous health easily accessible to inform practice and policy.
- Australian Indigenous HealthinfoNet - This Overview of Australian Indigenous health status provides information about: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander populations; the context of Indigenous health; various measures of population health status; selected health conditions; and health risk factors.
- Close the Gap Indigenous Health Campaign
- Us Mob - a 7-part 'choose your own adventure' series set in the central desert of Australia. It uses online characters and friendships to spark an exchange of culture, creativity and experience between non-Indigenous and Indigenous young people.
- Diverse Australia Program - an Australian Government initiative and replaces the previous Living in Harmony Program.
- CSIRO Australian Health Review - Aboriginal cultural awareness training: policy v. accountability – failure in reality
- Universities Australia - Guiding Principles for Developing Indigenous Cultural Competency in Australian Universities
- Australian National University - Indigenous Cutural Awareness Training
Values & Ethics
- National Health and Medical Research Council - Guidelines for Ethical Conduct in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Research.
- Australian Indigenous Healthinfo Net - Ethical Guidelines for Indigenous-specific Health Research.
Australian Indigenous Psychologists Association - Code of Ethics
Resources For Researchers from the Lowitja Institute
In response to requests from researchers and others for resources about conducting research with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, we recommend the following available from The Lowitja Institute website. These resources were developed from understandings which support:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health research being driven by priorities set by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people;
- An accessible approach which allows for the practical application of resources in the health sector, and
- An intention to develop the research capacity within Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
These resources cover guides for researchers and research supervisors, case stories on research projects and information about the development and implementation of research.